AVONDALE (Bruno) Licking Twp.
The village of Avondale was located in the southwest one‑quarter of the northwest one‑quarter of Section 16, Licking Township, Licking County, Ohio. The village can further be described as being on the northeast end of Buckeye Lake along Avondale Road near Licking Road.
Avondale was a railroad station for the Straightville Division of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad at Buckeye Lake. There was also a resort and popular fishing area known as Avondale House. In 1875, Avondale House was owned by Elias Padgett. At that time four trains with elegant, luxurious coaches attached stopped every few hours for the easy arrival and departure of guests.
HARBOR HILLS c. 1927 c. 1943 Licking Twp.
The village of Harbor Hills was located in the northeast one‑quarter of the northeast one‑quarter of Section 18, Licking Township, Licking County, Ohio.
The post office of Harbor Hills was established on March 31, 1927. The post office was closed on April 30, 1943. Upon its final closing the mail service was transferred to Hebron.
HOG RUN (Fleatown, VanBuren(town) Licking Twp.
Hog Run was small village located in the northwest one‑quarter of the northeast one-quarter of Section 4, Licking Township, Licking County, Ohio. The town's location can further be described as being on State Route 13 where it crossed Hog Run about 4 miles south of Newark.
In the early days, cows and hogs populated the fields around the village and would be driven through Hog Run on their way to market. One evening, a gentleman who was traveling stopped for the night in Hog Run. The next morning, he stated that the village should be called "FIeatown". The name stuck and from then on, the village was known by that name.
The first Methodist services were begun by the Rev. Asa Shinn at the house of Benjamin Greens. A primitive Baptist church was also established in Fleatown.
In 1988, all that remains of Hog Run is the Baptist Cemetery.
JACKSON (TOWN ) 1829 Licking Twp.
The town of Jacksontown was located in northeast one‑quarter of the northwest one quarter of Section 4, Licking Township, Licking County, Ohio. The town's location can further be described as being at the intersection of US 40 and State Route 13.
In 1829, Thomas Harris laid out 78 lots and named the town Jackson after Andrew Jackson. When the village asked for a post office, they were denied because there was another Jackson in Jackson County, Ohio. Thus, they changed the name to Jacksontown.
By 1840, Jacksontown had a population of 215. In 1860, Jacksontown was the fifth largest town in the county. By 1881, the population was less than 300.
On October 8,1831, a post office was established in Jacksontown. This post office was closed on January 18,1845. On January 31, 1845, the post office was reopened.
A school was located near the original Methodist Church. Later, the school district purchased the Methodist Church and its associated cemetery. After having it vacated, the school district erected a two story school building which it used until 1918.
Jacksontown became a well-known stagecoach stop on the National Road. Three inns were established at Jackson to service the travelers. The first was the Etnier Hotel, which was located 1/2 mile west of the village, the second was the Headley Hotel, which once played host to Andrew Jackson, and the third was the Clark's Hotel. Both the Headley and the Clark's Hotel were located at the intersection of U S 40 and State Route 13. Other businesses in Jacksontown included: taverns, a blacksmith shop, a general store, a Methodist, a Presbyterian, and an United Brethren Church.
In 1840, Jacksontown had a population of 215.
The Clark's Hotel burned on Labor Day, 1952. In 1967, Jacksontown businesses included: a pottery shop, an antique shop, the post office, two restaurants, and tavern. Today (1998), Jacksontown had a produce stand, a grill, a gas station, the Jacksontown Pub, and an old house made into an antique shop.
The village of Lloyd's Shop was located in the southwest one‑quarter of the northeast one quarter of Section 1, Licking Township, Licking County, Ohio. The town's location can further be described as being at the intersection of State Route 13 and Dorsey Mill Road.
SWINEHART CARRIAGE MANUFACTORY
This crossroad town consisted of a school, Lloyd's Blacksmith Shop and a buggy shop. The Grove or Sanford Cemetery was located just south of this area.
MELGREN c. 1888 - c. 1901 Licking Twp.
The Melgren Post Office was located in the northeast one‑quarter of the northeast one‑quarter of Section 3, Licking Township, Licking County, Ohio. The town's location further be described as being at the intersection of US 40 and Somerset Road.
The post office of Melgren was established on February 25, 1888. The post office was closed on October 31, 1901 with mail service being transferred to Jacksontown.
MOSCOW 1830 Licking Twp.
The ghost town of Moscow was located in Section 6, Licking Township, Licking County, Ohio. The town's location can further be stated as two miles east of Hebron on US 40.
In 1830, Daniel and William Green erected a mill on the south fork of the Licking River. This mill became known as Moscow.
At one time Moscow was about the same size as Luray, but by 1881 the town of “Moscow had nearly passed away.” Today, only a bridge remains to mark the location of the town.
NATIONAL ROAD (Atherton) c.1925 c.1934 Licking Twp.
The village of National Road was located in the northwest one‑quarter of the southwest one-quarter of Section 4, Licking Township, Licking County, Ohio.
The post office of National Roads was established on September 16, 1925 as a replacement for the Atherton Post Office, which had been closed the day before. The National Roads Post Office was closed on August 15, 1934. Upon its closing the mail service was transferred to Hebron.
RESERVOIR c. 1886 c.1888 Licking Twp.
The village of Reservoir was located in the southeast one quarter of the northeast one‑quarter of Section 16, Licking Township, Licking County, Ohio. The town's location can further be described as being at the intersection of Cristland Hill and Jacksontown Roads.
The post office of Reservoir was established on January 6, 1886. The post office was closed on January 20, 1888 with mail service transferred to Atherton.
Please note: This information has been compiled and has been permitted to be shared via this official website of Licking Township by The Center for Ghost Town Research in Ohio, located just north of Columbus in Sunbury.
Richard Helwig and his son publish books on the ghost towns of various counties around the state. The Center for Ghost Town Research in Ohio can be contacted by writing to P.O. Box 616, Sunbury, Ohio 43074.