HISTORY OF LICKING TOWNSHIP SCHOOLS
Burrell M. Swartz Donna Braig
4630 Ridgely Tract Road 4613 North Bank
Newark, OH 43056 Buckeye Lake, OH 43008
About the Authors:
Mr. Swartz knew that a one-room school had been located on his ten-acre farm - two acres to the school, eight acres for his home. This got him interested in the history of one-room schools, then into the history of Jacksontown School District. He attended Fulton School for grades 1-8, Jacksontown 9-10, and graduated from Hebron High School, Class of 1938. He got his material from the Lakewood Board of Education's records of past Board meetings, dating back to 1869. He also made many trips to the Recorder's office, got information from genealogy studies, and from the library. He extends his thanks to Gertrude Medler, of Newark, who did a study of all one-room schools in the county.
Mrs. Braig was glad to help in the history having done a similar study for Hebron School. She has a special love for Jacksontown School, having started her teaching career there back in 1947. She has the fondest memories of the school and the people there, when it was a high school-and a good one!
ONE ROOM SCHOOLS IN LICKING TOWNSHIP
STUDENTS ATTENDED HIGH SCHOOL IN JACKSONTOWN
Maps from 1876 Atlas
LICKING TOWNSHIP SCHOOLS
1. ROLEY SCHOOL - one room brick located between Jacksontown and Thornport, on Route 13. It was located on the west side of the road, at the near top of the hill.
2. MESSMORE SCHOOL - It was a frame building at the S.E. side of the woods near the railroad track and the intersection of Lancers Rd (Twp. #327) and County Road #596 (Cristland Hills Road.) Driving north on Lancer Road, drive under the Interstate and the school was on the left side (west) of the road. Only the steps remain of the school today. The property was owned by Fannie Davis who had taught there at one time, and perhaps some of the school was incorporated in the Davis Home on Route 40.
3. JACKSONTOWN INDEPENDENT SCHOOL -It later became the Grange Hall was built in 1860 and was erected behind the Methodist Church, off Route 13, south of the center of town. The frame building had two floors, one room up, one down. The High School was located upstairs. Last graduates possibly in 1918. The building is no longer there.
4. OLD SCHOOL ON WALLACE PROPERTY - It was on Route 40, just about 1 mile east of the town. It was a frame school and located close to town which makes one wonder why students didn't walk into town. The building was torn down in the late 40’s. Reference is made to it in the 1866 Atlas map.
5. OLD BRUMBACH SCHOOL - The school was located east of Lake Drive intersection and west of the Shawnee Railroad Track on the north side of Ridgely Tract Road. It was on the Benjamin Green property. Recordings show students at this school in the 1860’s. Mr. Green was a large property owner, with over 400 acres, and donated the land for the school. There were three one-room schools on Ridgely Tract Road but each was used at a different time.
6. OLD RIDGELY TRACT SCHOOL - This early school (1852) was on the Burrel Swartz property, next to what is now the Burning Tree Golf Course. The author of this paper is the owner of that property and his interest in the one-room school started him on this history of the schools/Licking Township. A complete history of this school is located in this booklet.
7. NEW RIDGELY TRACT SCHOOL - This building is still standing and is now a house. The school was built around 1875 and closed in 1916. Lawrence and Pat Davis farmed the land for nearly 50 years. The property today was photographed by Mr. Swartz. It is in one of two one-room schools still in existence. Located across the road from the Burrel Swartz property and the golf course.
8. NEW BRUMBACH SCHOOL – The Brumback’s gave land for a school in 1836 and the school was build in the 1850’s. The building is pictured below and is now a home on the Dawes Arboretum property on Route 13, between Davis Road and Licking Trails Road. John Brumbach built the school to be used for educating his children and the neighboring children. School closed in 1920.
9. LOCUST GROVE SCHOOL -School, now gone, was located on the south side of White Chapel Road, beside the Shawnee Railroad and the South Fork. It was west of the Pitzer Property. Historian Gertrude Medler helped the author to locate this school. Mrs. Medler spent considerable time locating all the one-room schools in Licking County and found 190 of them. Thanks also to Georgiana Rutledge.
10. SCHOOL AT VAN BURENTOWN (FLEATOWN) This is at the intersection of White Chapel Road and State Route 13. Exact location could not be determined, but it is in the area of the old Baptist Church and graveyard.
11. KINNEY SCHOOL -This school, too, is gone, but was located at the northwest corner of the Township, on the west end of Dorsey Mill Road, and in the general area of old Cluggish farm. Some Fulton school students attended this school, paying tuition.
12. LLOYDS SHOP SCHOOL - Closed in 1915. This school is located at the corner of Dorsey Mill Road and Route 13. The school was closed in 1914, "until further notice" because of "Foot and Mouth" disease. The author has pictures of this "famous" corner in this booklet with further information.
ONE ROOM SCHOOLS IN FRANKLIN TOWNSHIP
Map from 1876 Atlas
1. BLUE JAY SCHOOL – at the corner of Ritchey Road, Cotterman Road and Blue Jay road. Closed before 1920. It was on the old Irvin property, now it is located in Madison Township.
2. PLESANT RIDGE SCHOOL – (Corn Cob School) – on Blue Jay Road, somewhat east of the intersection of Appleman Road.
3. LUTHERAN SCHOOL on Linnville Road. A frame building at the corner of Linnville Road and Route 40, on old Kelsey property.
4. TIPPETT SCHOOL on Linnville Road, a frame building.
5. PORTER SCHOOL – Located on Fairview Road, on Dusthimer property.
6. BEALL SCHOOL – located on Flint Ridge Road. It is pictured below, as shown in a “History of Beal School”, written by Kenneth Clark. He stated that the school was an early school for the area, and burned down around 1890. It was built on the Hoskinson farm, across the road from the Beall farm.
The author has used material from Kenneth Clark’s writings, which he found in the Genealogy Library, at the end of this listing.
7. LINNVILLE SCHOOL – A frame school built at the corner of Linnville Road and Route 40, on the old Kelsey property.
8. PLEASANT CHAPEL SCHOOL – On Pleasant Chapel Road, south of Beall Road, on the Inlow property.
9. SCHOOL ON DAVIS ROAD – Located on old Gutridge Property.
BOWLING GREEN TOWNSHIP ONE ROOM SCHOOLS THAT FED INTO JACKSONTOWN
School at corner of Honda Hills Road and Somerset Road – Old Burge property
School on Laurel Hill Road, old J. Orr property
School on north side of Route 40, halfway between Linnville and Brownsville
School on west side of Midland Oil Road, Cooperider property
Amsterdam, east of the white church on the hill south of Route 40.
(Above information from JACKSONTOWN ALUMNI 1890 –1959.
(The following information was from Clark’s “History of Beall School”)
What went on in the one-room schools? The schools were under the guidance of the School Board for all the schools in the district. The last one-room schools were built in 1890's at a cost of around $1,000. The fall term started in November and ended in June. Sometime school closed during spring for students to work at home. Most of the textbooks were the McGuffey Reader and books by Ray.
The school day ran from 9:00 to 4:00, with noon lunch break and morning and afternoon recesses. The schools were usually located 2 - 3 miles apart and the students walked to school. Classes were from grades 1 - 8, and of course, many times the classes were combined for study. The school building itself was usually about 24 - 26 feet wide and 30 - 36 feet long, with most schools having one entrance, which came into the vestibule. Heat was supplied by a potbelly stove placed in the center of the room. Drinking water was from a bucket with a dipper. The Bible was on the teacher's desk and it was read from each day. The toilet was outside--the "outhouse." Each pupil had to supply their own books and they were bought from the previous class. This continued until around 1938, when the school board furnished the textbooks.
MESSMORE SCHOOL REUNION
In the photo are Buelah Woolard (10 years), Elizabeth Woolard (13 years), Charles Woolard (37 years), Elizabeth Jane Woolard (70 years), Stanley Smith (13 years), Mrytle Smith (16 years), Edna Smith (7 years), Leslie Swartz (23 years), Joseph Irland (52 years), Dora Ireland (49 years), and Fannie Davis, as the Teacher.
OLD RIDGELY TRACT SCHOOL – IT’S HISTORY
On the Map, it is School #6 and #7.
In 1852, the present property of Burrel and Rosalie Swartz (10 acres), was deeded to Mrs. Mahala (Ridgely) Jacobs from her father, Absalom Ridgely.
During this era and before the Civil War, this one room school you see here in the picture below, was used quite often during the period.
In 1868, this same property (10 acres) where the little school was located, was deeded to Geo. and Mary Barcus ($500). The road at that time was named “Blacksmill Road”. An 1866 Atlas map shows an S.S.G. mill at the west end of Blacksmill Road near South Fork of Licking Creek. This school probably served itself well during the Civil War. Especially, since it was a Military District.
Now, whenever the ground in this area of ours is plowed, one can see quite a bit of debris surfacing.
In 1870, the old school and (2) acres were deeded to Stephen Huffman and probably had plans to use it as a dwelling. The price was $100.
Around 1870, the School Board minutes show they were building a new “Licking Township Independent School” at a cost of $1,450. The time of this blends in with the Ridgely Tract School across the road from us which has been converted into a home today. The school was closed in 1916. This must have been a good time to change the road name from Blacksmill Road to Ridgely Tract Road.
An 1875 Atlas map and a 1908 map from State Auditor’s office shows two schools on Ridgely Tract, one right across the road from each other.
In the 1990’s a dinosaur, nearly complete with all bones, was found on the property adjacent to the old one-room school, on the Burning Tree Golf Course.
Lloyd Shop Intersection
Location of the One Room School called Lloyd’s School
Located at the corner of Route 13 and Dorsey Mill Road
At that intersection, was Lloyd’s School, located on the S.E. corner. A carriage manufactory was on the S.W. corner. Lloyd’s Blacksmith Shop was on theN.W. Corner. The Blacksmith sop was in the front yard of the home. Rufus Swinehart’s residence was behind the blacksmith shop. Mrs. Swinehart taught at the school at Lloyd’s, according to son Bill.
Note: this historical intersection, as we now it today, will be gone in the near future as the State has plans to rework all four corners completely.
LICKING TOWNSHIP AND JACKSONTOWN INDEPENDENT SCHOOLS
History taken from School Board Minutes
Officers of the School Board were: President James Stewart; Secretary William Yost; Treasurer Andrew Beard; A.J. Jury, Charles Wallace; and J.O. Davis.
One-half acre of land purchased from David Bounds in connection with the Church. Price was $25 for Jacksontown Independent School
Subscription (paying for education) applied only to people having children in school. Licking Township schools were divided into sub-districts. Teachers were paid $20 per month and lady teachers could not be married.
Building a new Licking Township Independent School for $1,450. Money was allotted for a new “back house”, with two sides: Boys on one side – girls on other.
Jacksontown Independent School passes operating levy. (first levy?)
Board members at this time included H.C. Bright, J.E. Atwell, L.W. Perry and J.F. Swartz.
Miss Maggie Griffith was hired to teach at Jacksontown Union School. Mr. Smith Stevens was principal at $45 per month.
“Winter Term” started in December, with Oliver Davis as a new Board member. Board purchased new Webster dictionaries at $9 each!! Seats and desks were purchased for only $4 each.
“Fall Term” started, as now, in September. James Lamp was hired to build a “coal house” (to fire the furnace) at a cost of $50.
In the minutes it was stated that James Davis paid tuition of $5. The Board bought 6 desks for $28. On the Board at this time were J.A. Franks, Chairman, and W.H. Wiseman, Clerk.
Enumeration of the District was held with the following results. (This is counting students)
Military District 29 pupils 66 male
Virginia Military District 110 pupils 73 female
TOTAL 139 pupils in “Union School”
O.V. Walcott, Clerk and C. Osborn, Clerk. Teachers still getting $20 a month.
School Sub District - #2 numbered 26
Substitute teachers are paid 50¢ per day
All new school board members. President is O.B. Gray, Clerk is L.E. Crow, Supt. of School for one year, at $45 per month.
Mary A. Swartz was hired as janitor, $25 per year! Roofers repaired the roof at 50¢ per day. L.M. Layton hauled shingles from Newark for $1 a load.
Entire Board visited or inspected schools one a month. Teachers were now paid $30 a month (for nine months) or $270 a year!
Prof. Everett Beck hired to teach at the high school, at $600 for 9 months ($66 a month). He as asked to retire after one year because of “internal friction”!
Prof. O.C. Larason hired as Supt. for nine month term. Mr. F.M. Layton hired for one year as truant officer at $10 per YEAR!
Prof. Larason hired at $700 per PLUS ½ of all tuition money. Teachers now getting paid $35 per month. The Board set new rules for the library at Jacksontown. The janitor got a $5 raise (per year).
Annual school levy was issued for $1,250. Arbor day saw the students planting sugar trees. Commencement was followed by a banquet, with Andrew Beard furnishing the ice cream.
Allen Boring won the bid for supplying coal at $1.10 per 100 bushels. Tuition to attend school was reduced from $1.25 to $1 a month.
Flag Day was a special day with outdoor “exercises” planned for all students. Mr. W.L. Atwell was hired as Superintendent at $57.50 a month salary!
A new pump was installed for the water well, bid for coal contract at $1 for 100 bushels, Ed Larson hired as primary teacher and Prof. Atwell gets $60 a month!!
J.F. Davis, Clerk, W.E. Wallace, and L.E. Crow were to be judges of the election. (School election?)
Prof. Atwell now making $70 a month, and T.C. Jury elected to Board as Treasurer. Here we first find the name of Fannie Gray (later to be Fannie Davis) as hired to teach at a pay scale of $30 a month. Mrs. Davis was to become a large landowner of the school district and one room school was located on her property on what is now Lancer Road and Cristland Hills Road.
L.E. Crow was now Board President and J.F. Davis, clerk, and T.C. Jury Treasurer. Later, “window guards” were purchased (what is this?) and E.E. Harter, President. Teachers now received $45 a month, and it was decided that Junior Class students were to serve as Ushers for the Senior Commencements.
Mrs. Lillie McFarland was hired as janitor for $45 a year!! New shingles were added to the cupola and the roof repainted.
The following books were adopted by the Board for Student use:
1. Frye’s Grammer School geography
2. Frye’s Elements
3. Montgomery’s Beginners History
4. Blaisdell’s American History
5. Blaisdell’s Practical History
6. Blaisdell’s “Our Bodies” (Revised)
7. Davis Elementary Phys. Geography
8. Montgomery’s English History
9. Weutworth’s Plain and Solid Geometry
10. Lockwood & Emerson Composition
11. Boyton’s School Civics
12. Collars New Gradation
13. Myers General History (Revised)
14. Medical Writing Books
15. Beginners Agriculture
16. Cyns Readers
17. Moore & Miren Business Arithmetic
At one time, Jacksontown Independent School had four rooms total. The superintendent at this time was being paid $75 a month, and a teacher $45 a month.
The Board moved to borrow $325 to finish out the school year. Interest was to be 6%. Other expenses for the year included:
NEW ELEMENTARY AND HIGH SCHOOL BUILDING
Rusk and Sheets to be Architects – the cost $441.20
O.D. Hollar, Plumbing
Columbus Heating and Ventilating
The bids awarded made the total contract come to $17,648.
A $20,000 Municipal bond to be issured at 6% interest with interest to be paid every six months.
School Board now made up of Jury, Arnold, Davis, Crew, and Grove. Here is the Staff:
S.C. Hanson, Superintendent and Principal $85 a month
Miss Forest Crouse, Teacher
Miss Verna Miller
A.L. Turner KINNEY SCHOOL
Walter Orr LOCUST GROVE/KINNEY
Miss Forrest RIDGELY TRACT
Miss Verna Miller BRAUMBACK
Miss Ethel Cheryton $55 a month
Miss Lura Beard $45 a month
Clement Frymute $45 a month
Miss Mary McClure $45 a month
Miss Threace Dusthimer LOCUST GROVE
Miss Doris Rogers $45 a month
Dwight Wince Janitor
Miss Berth Woolard Teacher $200 (5 months)
Miss Dorothy Deitz $65 a month
Miss Doris Rogers Teacher $20 (1/2 month)
O.R. Reichly $40 per month
During this time, it was recorded that MESSMORE School was suspended for one year and students were conveyed to Jacksontown to the four-room school house. Each district was numbered and enumerated. The Enumerators were:
#1 Robb Meredith #5 Frank Redmax
#2 A.J. Greene #6 A.L. Turner
#3 Charles Pitzer #7 W.M. Osborne
#4 Calvin Boring
Paul Long paid $100 damages to the School Board for blasting too close to Roley School. It did damages to the school to the extent that the kids at the Roley Hill school had to go into Jacksontown for the year. Emmitt Orr was paid to haul students to Jacksontown from around the Avondale area.
In order for people to “teach” when they had not attended college, they were given an exam called the * “Boxwell” and if they got a good grade on this, they could teach in the public schools. This year the Boxwell commencement was held at the Town Hall in June 1914.
This year found the closing of Roley School. It was located at the top of the hill of “Roley Hill” on Route 13 just south of the present B.P. station south of Jacksontown. Today, only a few stone steps lay among the weeds.
C.R. Foulk, Truant officer, reported to the School Board that the Sprague children were not attending school because they lacked proper shoes and stockings. The School Board decided to furnish them with 4 pairs of shoes and 5 (?) pairs of stockings with the cost being $6.45.
The Board was holding their meetings in the store-room of the L.E. Crow store in Jacksontown. Fulton School had opened in what is now Heath, and students who wished to go there were not to be given any tuition. Two more teachers were added, or replaced others. They were Helen Evans and Minnabelle Summy.
Again, special transportation was needed to bring in the children around the Avondale area and J.F. Wince was now contracted to haul them to Jacksontown. There were six children on that route. As a money maker, the Braumbach School (now located on the Dawes Arboretum property and still standing (used as a home) held a “Box Social” and netted $10.35. The girls packed a box lunch, and the men then bid for the box and the right to eat the lunch that had been prepared with the lady that had prepared it. Before the Box lunch, they reported 73¢ in the treasury.
Clement Frymute hired in LLOYD School, ($42.50 a month), Miss Evans at BRUMBACH SCHOOL ($40 a month), Florence Dusthimer LOCUST GROVE SCHOOL ($45 a month). No set salary for teachers, but all still must not be married. This rule lasted until 1935 or 1936.
Some of the students decided to go to Newark High School and the Board paid their tuition. The Board purchased 9 adjustable and 15 stationary desks for $75. S.H. Swartz was hired as janitor at $81 a year!
Superintendent was now Bryon Swayer, and he served as truant officer. The high school was not meeting the requirements for a second grade high school, and to update it, they needed to buy laboratory equipment, which they did. At this time, they purchased a site for additional land to erect and equip a new school building. Bids went out for the new school, $20,585 (interest at 5%). The land the Board wanted belonged to Lewis and Mary Coffman, and they refused to sell any of the land. Later, they did agree to sell 5 acres at $2,000.
Some schools heated with coal and others with gas. Most of the times, the teacher’s pay included doing the janitor work of the one-room school. Teachers were now earning $65 a month.
The new school to be built was to be called “Licking Township High School”, Jacksontown, Ohio! It must be the present Jacksontown Elementary (?). The Board purchased a wagon to haul Messmore students to the new school, the Ridgely Tract School was to be closed, and the students there were to go to LOCUST GROVE School. This school was located on the south side of the White Chapel Road and west of the Pitzer property.
The new wagon cost $232 F.O.B., width of tread of tires was 61 inches to have brake and 3 horse hitch, drop windows, one ventilator on each side and lettering saying “Licking Twp Schools, #1”. This was the school’s original “school bus” only pulled by three horses. They didn’t go all over the district, as Lewis Walters was paid $1 a day for transporting George and Bertha Lorentz and Carl Walters to the LOCUST GROVE School.
Word was received from the Findlay Carriage Company that their factory burned and they couldn’t supply the school wagon. The Board moved to purchase one from Beaver Brothers in Columbus, Ohio (a Wayne School car #0068). Wayne glass enclosed school car. Color of body (regular), track (regular), pole and 3- horse equalizer hitch extra. Wayne center lever brake. Lettering to say, “Licking Twp School No. 1”. The price was to be $225.
Teachers were given a test by Supt. to see if they qualified for teaching!
In the building of the new school, Contractor Geo. Emswiler had been given the contract had failed to have proper amount of material skilled labor, promptness and diligence and thus he was fired by the School Board.
R.F. Henry, new contractor was hired to finish the school. At that time the school was to be updated from second grade school to first grade, including teachers and equipment.
Board Members, paid $10 (for month or year?) was T.C. Jury, President, with board members A.M. Arnold, Joel Grace, John H. Orr, and L.C. Davis. L.A. Osborne was clerk and treasurer and was paid $50.
Miss L.N. Sheppard
Miss Minnabel Sumary
Miss Lura Beard
Miss Verna Miller
Clement Frymute, Janitor
Miss Florence Dusthimer
Miss Florence Dusthimer, Janitor 1 month
Miss Helen Evans
Lewis Walters (Busing)
O.G. Osborne (teaching)
The Board moved to take out fire and lightning Insurance at LLOYD, BRUMBACH, and LOCUST GROVE schools. (Showing that these one-room schools were still being used.) H. Hardin was to furnish carpenters at 50¢ an hour.
Board minutes stated that the line fence between properties was done. Clay Robinson was hired to put up blackboard and repair plaster in the LOCUST GROVE School. The new building was to have a Delco lighting plant. The LLOYDS school had attendance of less than 10 students and therefore, school in that building was suspended y law with the students transported to Jacksontown.
Reed Johnston was appointed truant officer and Calvin Boring was hauling students from TRIDGELY TRACT School to LUCUST GROVE School, 8 months for $280. The Licking Township High School Board of Education authorized the Principal to put a stop to the pupils of the school from playing pool from 8:30 to 3:30 p.m. No scholar to leave school grounds during recess with permission.
Board agreed to pay tuition of Mary Turner, Helen Toland, and Mildred Grove, but would not pay for William Hillman and Vernon Cullison to go to Newark.
The Supreme Court ruled that buses were not allowed to go out of their way to pick up children. Use of intoxicating liquors by students shall be sufficient cause for expelling such pupils.
A Public Auction was held in March:
MESSMORE SCHOOL sold to L.E. Davis, $76. Coalhouse sold to Freeman Jones $27. RIDGELY TRACT SCHOOL sold for $105, the Coalhouse for $8.25 and the outhouse for 50¢ to Charles Woolard.
Prof. Lester Black was the new Supt. of School at $1,500 per year. He was later to be hired as County Superintendent. Domestic Science was to be taught at Jacksontown. Methodist Church and old Jacksontown School had difference over the title to the school ground. No baseball was to be played on the high school diamond on Sunday.
Board decided to close BRUMBACK School 1919-1920 and the students to be brought to Jacksontown School. Mr. Black made application for books from the traveling library (our first Bookmobile?). The Board received $2,000 from George Emswiler, contractor, and the check came through the Prosecuting Attorney. New Board members were Angus Swartz, Hebert Baker, and John Orr. To settle the problem with the Church, the Board gave the $125. The Grange then bought the old school from the Board for $900. T.C. Jury represented the Grange.
New board member Charles Lawrence. W.B. Edgerly was the Principal. The class graduated five, including Lela Woolard, Ross Lawrence, Herman Powers, Murray Fulk, and Walter Orr.
Angus Swartz was Board President, and stated that students who had to walk more than ½ a mile were to be transported. This came about because of a lawsuit. O.C. Helser, now janitor, gets $65 a month. Students from “Whiskey Hollow” which is in Franklin Township were transported to Jacksontown, with Ernest Gutridge hired for this at $85 a month. Edward Myers and Vernon Prince were new Board Members. A political ring in Newark was trying to change County School System.
It was discovered that $52 had been stolen from the Senior Class Treasury and the person was located and replaced the money. Oren Kinney suspended by the County Supt. and was later reinstated. (not related to the Senior Class money.)
Agriculture is to be taught in the school, Mr. Fought is principal at $1,500 per year, and the high school staff now number three.
Miss Thelma Green was new elementary teacher at $800 per year, O.C. Helser Janitor. Orlando Davis requested LOCUST GROVE School on his farm be abandoned since it was closed four years earlier. Request granted.
Harry Jones comes on the Board. Mr. Lewis Weiser hired as principal, $1,900. Margaret Riggs first appeared on the high school staff. She was to serve at different times at the school. This is not clear as to why she was hired, as she was married to Otis Riggs, and female teachers had to be single at this time.
The Board members at this time, C.T. Lawrence, W.V. Davis, P.A. Jury, H.N. Jones, A.W. Swartz, and L.A.Osborne, Clerk. Lester Black was hired to the position as the County Superintendent.
Jesse Blade as janitor, and Bus Drivers were: #3 Route, Calvin Boring, $90 a month; #2 Route to H.E. Clark, $120 a month. The Town halls was used for many school purposes, including basketball practice.
The Board contributed to the Teacher’s Retirement Fund and the board needed school funds and got them through the Hebron Bank at 2% interest. Mr. R.B. Lees joined the Board as a member. Miss Helen Burrell elected Home Ec’s instructor. Miss Tunnison was employed as an instructor for 9 months at $900 a year. Other teachers included: Miss Louise Jones, Miss Catherine McCoy, Miss Evora D. Blain, Miss Hazel D. Noble, (Elementary). Mr. L.E. Barb with Mr. Lewis Weiser, Superintendent. Margaret Riggs and Inez Hopper were on the High School staff. Teachers now were being paid $144 a month. President of the Board was H.W. Jones.
BUS DRIVERS: H.E. Clark, Calvin Boring, Ernest Gutridge, M.J. Kreager, Frank Hupp
Calvin Boring receives new Ford 1½ ton school bus. Board Members: W.V. Davis, R.B. Lees, Paul Jury, H.W. Jones, Clement Frymute, R.B. Lees, and C.E. Gutridge
Loren Hadley, Principal
Miss Helen Burrell
Miss Catherine McCoy
Miss Helen Tunnison
Miss Besse Cooperider
Miss Marguerite Agin
Miss Ira Mae Lore
Mr. L.E. Barb
President of the Board – R.B. Lees with Board Members paid $20.
Big event at this time was the contract worked out for a new Auditorium and Gymnasium. This was to be built by the W.P.A. (Works Projects Administration) which was part of the economic recovery of the Great Depression. President Franklin Roosevelt was in office. Many public buildings, bridges, structures were built at this time. (Hebron’s Gym was built at the same time).
Work began on the new addition to the building at a cost of $34,180! Clem Frymute was president of the Board. The new additional was to include a gym, stage, cafeteria, showers, and a large area for shop/classroom. During this time, the Town Hall was used for ball games and school activities.
John Ryan joins the Board. He became president in 1938, with new member O.A. Helser. Jim Lamp was president of the first class to graduate in the new auditorium and Loren Hadley was the Supt. Other teachers were Balo, A.B. Krumm, Burrell, and Helen Tunnison. Twenty-one were in the senior class!
The basketball program found the girls playing the first game followed by the boy’s game. The first games in the new gym were against Alexandria and the “Trojans” won both the games. Our school colors were red and gray. At this time, there were thirteen schools in the County system and in the county leagues.
Licking County High Schools were:
Jacksontown, Hebron, Kirkersville, Etna, Alexandria, Utica, Granville, Hanover-Toboso, Johnstown, Granville, Hartford, Pataskala, Homer, and Summit.
John Ryan, President of the Board, W.M. Osbourne, Clerk, Mr. Balo teaching Agriculture, Mr. Edgar Albright, president of the Community Club and Mr. Harold Sebold, Superintendent. Mr. Sebold, like Lester Black before him, went on to become Superitendent of the County Schools!! Both men came to the job from Jacktown!!
Teachers were Helen Ehrick, Balo, Foster Elliott (Coach), Edgar Higgins, Frances House, Ralph Cox, Irma Hamilton, Elizabeth Martin, and Jesse Blade, Janitor. The Board bought a typewriter for $70. Board Members were Ryan, Rutledge, Adamson, Morton, and McKibbon. Harold Freas and Robert Hoskinson were hired to take the enumeration. During this time, Anna Dell Vorhees was hired to teach Social Studies, French, and Typing and Mr. Higgins hired to teach music.
Dixie coal was bought instead of Ohio coal (cleaner) and Mary Joe Martin sent to school in Newark due to Health problems.
Industrial arts classes were introduced and Mr. Balo was to teach this and Ernest Gutridge was given a contract to drive a bus.
During wartime, and the government needed 25% of all typewriters.
Teachers were Mary Black, Mary Sheets, Amelia Kirkland, Joan Nickel, Irma Hamilton, Elizabeth McCament, Annie Stuart, and Via Cooperider. Elementary teachers now being paid $1,300 a year! President Ryan swore in new board members, Walter Ice and Mr. Greathouse. The name of the school was made official, “Jacksontown Local School District”.
C.R. “Dick” Meredith and Sherl Smith cam as Board members and Harry Broseous started driving a bus.
Paul Wilson joined the Board, Wilma Fry was new clerk, and she read the letter of resignation of Harold Sebold. Robert Hull was hired as the new Supt., from Niles, Ohio. Mr. Kinner became principal of the school. F.F.A. initiation was discussed, as a complaint had been made to County Supt. Black and the Board moved that such practices be dropped.
A supper honoring the returning veterans from World War Two was held in the school gym. Mr. Hull resigned and Mr. Foulks was hired as coach/teacher.
New. Supt. Melvin Clark (a returning Navy officer) was hired and the Janitor was now making the huge salary of $1,500 a year (in 12 month installments). All the staff was paid in 12-month installments, once a month. Sometimes this caused paydays for the staff to be five weeks between pays!!
Board members were Walter Ice, President, along with Sherl Smith, Dick Meredith, and “Coonie” Hoskinson. Wilma Fry was the clerk. Board bought five new buses at a cost of $3,737 each!! The Board hired Miss Donna Fisher (to be married later to become Donna Braig), Edna Shroats (teaching 1st and 2nd) and her daughter Kathleen Rowland who was to teach 3rd and 4th. Already on the elementary staff were Thelma Bounds and Joan Nichols.
High School included Melvin Clark, Executive Head and teacher of Chemistry; Franchion Lewis who taught languages and Home Ec.; Miss Paulina Lewis taught English; Verna Swartz Barnett who was the Music director (vocal and Band) and taught math. Donna Fisher taught all the Business subjects, and girls P.E.; Mr. Balo taught agriculture/industrial arts. Herb Buck was the boy’s coach. Four elementary teachers/7 high school.
Teacher’s salaries varied but the beginning pay for Miss Fisher and Mrs. Rowland was $1,700 per year. Teachers were expected to direct all the school plays and musicals, sell tickets at all school events, do homeroom duties and hall duties, advised the school paper and the LICKINGANA, attended all P.T.O. meetings, were class advisors with the class plays and Junior-Senior Banquets, make sure your class had a money-maker for Fall Festival, advise all school clubs and cheerleaders, and of course, this was all without additional pay. This was just part of your job.
There was no lounge for teachers—the teachers used the same rest rooms as the students, which were located in the basement, just off the cafeteria. The Board OK’d the Junior-Senior Banquet to be held at the Seneca Hotel in Columbus with President of the class Kenny Seymour giving the welcome and Carol Griffith, president of the Junior Class responding. The group went to the movie following.
C.R. “Dick” Meridith became Board President. Miss Alma King came to the faculty to teach English and Mrs. Julliard was teaching Home Ec. County Superintendent Lester Black made sure we had “County Organizations” and Jacksontown was represented this year as follows: County Student Council – Carol Griffith and Patricia Morton. County Band – Margaret Sasser, Lillian Gorley, Dalton Wise and John Slayter. Our Chorus members were: Anna Lou Brown, Betty Dettre, Patricia Meredith, Charles Davis, Leroy Hoskinson, Keith Thogmartin, Fred Crist, Allen White, Charles George, Bruce Thogmartin, and Richard Morton.
County Honor Society members were Donna Jean Ice, Pat Morton, Carol Griffith, Glen Wince, Richard Morton, and Shelby Kuhn. Best Citizen had been Kenneth Seymore from the year before along with Valedictorian Ruby Lane. All County Football (6 man) was Dale Hupp and Bill Davis and all county basketball was Dale Hupp (he won both that year) and Glen Wince.
W.M. Julian had become Clerk, replacing Wilma Fry. The next year, Mrs. Margaret Long took over that office. Mr. Davis joined the Board as did Mr. Wilson. Victor Fowler became the Executive Head and his wife also was on the staff. Two other new faculty members were June Adams and John Parker. We were still playing six-man football, Ralph Moore won All-County, and Evan Smith scored the most touchdowns. The Board signed the diplomas of 21 seniors. It was traditional for the Faculty to lead the seniors into the gym where the seniors then went up onto the stage. President Glen Wince and Advisor Mr. Balo lead the “procession”. The Seniors then took a trip to Washington, New York, and Atlantic City.
A new board member in. Larry Weiss came aboard and D.L “Coonie” Hoskinson was the president. Another school bus was purchased from Walker and Batatt at a cost of $3,600.
There were no changes in the high school faculty, but there were changes in the elementary. New were Mrs. Alma Cass, Mrs. Kiger, Mrs. Edmund, and Thelma Bounds welcomed them.
This year we found seven in the graduating class, three girls, four boys. They were Kenny Deck, Roger Cotterman, Mary Jo Hoskinson, Frances Wilson, Marguerite Higinbothom, Evan Smith, and Minnie Winter. The F.F.A. was a busy group with Eugene Collins as President. They had “pest hunts” and got points for the pests they killed and brought into the school!! Yuk!! The school continued with their Halloween Carnival and Patty Smith was elected queen. Ann Watkins edited the school paper, THE BULLETIN, advised by Mrs. Braig, who also advised the schools yearbook was the LICKINGANA.
Board members were Fred Davis, Mr. Hoskinson, Larry Weiss, Sherl Smith, and Audry Smith (our first lady on the Board?). School bust costs had risen to $5,750. Mr. Ralph Billett was hired as the new Executive Head along with John Corkery, Richard Armstrong (he later joined the F.B.I.) and Jean Milburn. Rodney Hill, president of the class, would marry the Vice President, Carol Brown, and Rodney later served on the School Board.
Mr. Robert Brenneh, Frances Clutter, Jean Rosseau, Jan Olmstead, LaVomme Rorer, James Mathes, in fact all the staff was new except Balo. Howard Smith served as class president, Janice Davis V.P., Jackie Smith Sec’y, and Dotty Smith, Treas. It was pretty much the “Smith show…”
The plaque in the hallway of the elementary addition to the front of our school says it was erected in 1953, with the School Board being Mr. Hoskinson, President, Mr. Weiss V.P., Mr. Davis, Audrey Smith, and Sherl Smith. The Administration at the time of the addition was Ralph Billett as Ex. Head, Harold Sebold as County Superintendent and Forest Moran, Ass’t Supt. The Architect for the addition was Joseph Baker and Associates and the builder was Buckey Brothers of Newark.
Mrs. Clutter was back, and new were Mr. Lonoconus, Hutchinson and Mrs. Schramm. Twenty seniors graduated, lead by Dick Fulk, Katherine Florian, Sue Bailey, and Jerry Helser. Newcomers were Jean Grubaugh, Sylvia Woolard, Eral Appleman, and all the rest of the class had been at Jacktown most of their school years.
Another year of great changes on the high school faculty with Mrs. Carlberg, Mr. Paul, Mrs Rice, Mrs. Johnson, Mr. Meckley. The Senior class was only ten members but they were good ones, including Dan Richards, Franklin Ice, Sally Claggett, Dick Cotterman, Maraleita Eagle, Jerry Waites, Billie Keaton, William Guyer (better known as “Buddy”), James Gorey and Judith Panzer.
Board records show that Roy Smith, President of Heath Village Board, requested some information from our School Board on some info on the possible consolidation of the two schools districts.
Staff changes included Mr. Hutchinson and Mr. Montgomery to get the 28 seniors ready for the big world. Tommy Johnson was the president along with other officers Rachel Bruah, Ronny Guyer and Eileen Davis. The Board had been thinking about consolidation with Hebron and Franklin school districts.
Jacksontown becomes Lynnwood High School. Many times the school was referred to as Lynnwood-Jacksontown. It had consolidated Jacksontown with the Franklin School District.
The District continued talking about further consolidation and the two School Boards, Hebron and Lynnwood-Jacksontown - joined with two members from Hebron - Chance Brockway and Lawrence Holtsberry, two members from Jacksontown Board in Lawrence Weiss and Frederick Davis, and one member from Franklin, Lawrence Clark. The first Board meeting was conducted by Harold Sebold, Co. Supt., Lois WaIters of Buckeye Lake was elected Clerk at $2,400. The two schools combined their appropriations and Joseph Baker, the Architect, was selected to make plans for the new school. It would be called Lakewood, and the school colors were to be red, white, and blue - the red from Jacksontown, and the blue from Hebron. No longer were the "Trojans" and "Trailblazer” - now we were one -"Lancers”!
The elementary schools were to retain their own names. Ralph Billet, Supt. of Jacksontown, was selected over Hebron Executive Head, Roger Burke. Thelma Bounds served as the Principal of the Elementary School - the one and only woman teacher to be so appointed at Jacksontown - or later in the Lakewood Local School System. She was an outstanding teacher and administrator.
At JHS, Loll Cass was chosen for the staff, along with Mrs. Earl George James Bauer, and William Paul. Robert Mack was class president, Pat Jones V.P., Sue Backenstos treasurer, and Merle Smith, Secretary. Lynnwood High had 30 students graduating.
The Board made plans to sell $770,000 in bonds for the purpose of acquiring real estate, constructing a new high school building, remodeling and improving the present building, and for landscaping and improving sites.
On the 14th day of March, 60 acres of farmland was purchased from Joseph T. and Marjorie Ellen Hatfield for $16,000. (Marjorie, being a sister to Sheriff Wm McElroy at that time). On the 21st day of June, Lakewood Local School District purchased 8.81 acres of land from Fannie Gray Davis, Geo. Gray Davis, and Mary Jane Davis (wife), for $6,500.
Construction was started at the new school site, and wells were being dug, as the old home that stood there was torn down. The house and buildings were sold to Frank Lawson, and he had a beautiful curved stairway in the house, which he planned to remove, but before he got it out of the house, some one stole it. The land where the actual high school sits now belonged to Fannie Davis, but she refused to sell it to the Board, so, the School Board took her to Court to get it. The Board had looked at every property on old Rt. 40 from Hebron to Jacksontown, even in the Luray area west of Hebron.
The two schools were working toward being one school, but each was still separate in sports and clubs. Jim Bauer came to the coaching staff along with Walt Gawronski, and they began to build a basketball team at Lynnwood. Ed Cochran was class president, Dale Hoskinson V.P., Beatrice Arnold sec.y., and Walter Bruah treas. Mrs. McCellend, Mrs. Moore, Mr. Brown, and Mrs. Peale were new teachers.
LAKEWOOD BOARD OF EDUCATION – March 1960
Ralph Billet, Executive Head; Lawrence Holtsberry, Lawrence Clark, Chance Brockway, President, Larry Weiss, Frederick Davis, and Clerk Lois Walters.
HIGH SCHOOL FACULTY
Mr. Richard Meckley – Principal; Physical Science
Mr. William Snook – Ind. Arts
Mr. Harold Howard – Phys. Ed.; Guidance
Mr. W.L. Balo – Driver Education
Mr. Walter Gawronski – Biological Sci.
Mrs. Martha Jameson – Latin; Dramatics
Mrs. Rowena Sciple – Physical Science
Mrs. Kathi Kuehn – English; Spanish
Mrs. Pauline Egnew – Business Educ.
Mrs. Elizabeth McClelland – French; Eng.
Mrs. Mary Schramm – Business Educ.
Miss Rebecca Rinehart – Art
Mr. William Craig – English
Mrs. Rita Rebovich – Mathematics
Mrs. Beverly Huth – Home Economics
Mr. Clarence Schimmel – Social Studies
Mrs. Margaret Sanford – Vocal Music
Mrs. Dorothy Billett – Library
Mr. Charles Tewksbary – Inst. Music
Mr. Norris VanNoy – Social Studies
Mrs. Elizabeth Morgan – Girls Phys. Ed.
This was the last class to graduate from the great school on Route 13 in Jacksontown. They had a new name, Lynnwood, and were to go to a new school, Lakewood, and their beloved school would now be an elementary school only. No more varsity games against Hebron, no more 6-man football games on the field behind the school, no more school picnics at Dawes Arboretum. This was a goodbye!
But, the basketball team gave the school a memory they would never forget when they were State Runners-up in Basketball at the State Tourney in Columbus. Those remarkable boys were Jerry Beaver, Dave Priest, Jack Tiebout, Jack Davis, Gene Backentos, Jerry Mills, Jerry Gill, Jim Turner, Larry Ranck, Carl Holmanm, Bill Mills, and Junior Cochran. It was the best that any team had done in the history of the school.
The first graduating class at the new Lakewood High School!!! The two schools were consolidated!!
Dedication of the building was held in March of 1960, with the band under the direction of Charles Tewksbary with Twila Bole, as Organist. Mrs. Sanford led the mixed chorus and the Ensemble. Mr. Bryan Morton, Ass’t. Supt. Of Public Instruction gave the address. Joseph Baker, architect, turned the keys of the building over to Chance Brockway, Board president. Tour of the new building followed.
The Building had cost a total of $792,073. Harold Sebold was County Superintendent, Ralph Billett to be the Executive Head and Richard Meckley to be principal. The total land site was to be 66 acres, had an auditorium that seated 420 and had a stage that could hold a ninety-piece band. The gymnasium was to be able to hold 1,023 with two cross-court basketball area, with motor driven forward folding baskets. The building was to hold 342 students, cost $12.20 per square foot and was planned to be expandable to house 750 students.
*(The tests were developed by John Boxwell, who later served as a state representative from Lima. This information was found at:. www.farmlandnews.com/oldschools.html)